Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Ready to Run Spring 2010

Emanuel Ungaro's Spring 2010 Ready to Wear collection has sent the fashion globe running for the hills. Exposed nipples, tacky heart covers, bad styling and over all poor construction. Who is really to blame?

Now I have to put this out there right away, I am a Lohan fan (don't ask... I have no idea why.. I feel one day she will rise above it all haha). Now don't get me wrong there are so many things wrong with this collection, but don't be grabbing your pitchforks and burning Li-Low at the stake there was a design team. I think the image of her smiling walking down the runway made me feel sorry for her with all the nasty comments people gave her and the gawks in the front row, I'm a softy after all.


Lohan aside let's focus on the nuts and bolts of this collection. I tried so very hard to find some positives about this range.. I feel I will need botox at a young age from all the worried looks, frowning and repulsed faces I was making. We saw super short body con dresses, underwear as outerwear with skin tight pants, poorly fitted tops and silhouettes that I'm puzzled by. Some positives? there were two outfits that I actually liked and a couple of ideas (I know right!).. although execution not too fab. Lets start with the bad...
'Oooh dear god' was my initial reaction. Richard Gere certainly didn't rescue this poor call girl. Now the sheer overlay (covering yet another body con mini) actually had potential to be great on its own, just whack the same silhouette under it. I can see so many other ways to improve this. Check out Kirrily Johnston's silk dresses and you'll see how to do it right.
'I Dream Of Jeanie' ... if in fact that dream was a nightmare! Obviously that's what this collection was, a horrible, call girl meets Arabian nights... nightmare. Positives? the hair and makeup?.....
Oh Supre had a show in Paris.... no it's just high end tacky design. The shoes have the potential to be fierce, the rest? Animal liberation are looking for their mascot's white fur back and Supre has found their poster child of nasty.
Mgggghhhh....... that's the sound of me choking on my coffee. I don't understand how they couldn't tell that this doesn't work. Ok the fabric is ok but c'mon look at the top half! Cut that off and lower the skirt a little and you have a fun and cute pencil skirt in an interesting pattern. Throw on a sleeveless ruffle blouse and you have a potentially cute outfit

Ok now this could have been a great play on the power suit, but that bloody nipple is killing my eyes. We could have given the model some finger waves in her hair, made the top half fit properly and bam you have Hollywood glamor. Suggestion... go back and fix it and you have a top seller
Ok this is cute... I know I found something I like haha. I actually just find this look fun and fresh. Those shoes in white look less call girl and the skirt actually looks nice short (maybe cause I don't risk seeing her lack of underwear.. if she follows in Li-Low's footsteps) Thumbs up to this look
Omg two outfits I like? the colour difference in the top and pants really help this look succeed. I also like the different textures, makes more drama... especially with those sleeves. Wow those shoes look cool from this distance... the yellow just looks really cool haha.
Ok so overall my final say is this, if your going to be in the fashion industry first practice your styling skills then move on to design and fit. Don't wing it, don't blame time restraints and if you do then how about you make a smaller collection and perfect that collection rather then sending out shotty designs. Prediction? this is going to be in Supre next week, can't wait to see those windows and more tragic youth on the streets.
Mitch. S xx
Copyright © Mitchell Steed 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment