Friday, October 9, 2009

Desperately Seeking 1985

It was destined to be such an amazing year and what makes it even more awesome? I was born!!

Major events: the Nintendo Entertainment System was launched in the U.S, The Tommy Hilfiger Brand was established, TETRIS was released (what a brilliant game that was), brilliant movies were released such as The Breakfast Club, Teen Wolf, Back To The Future, The Goonies and the one I am going to rave about now ... Desperately Seeking Susan.

By far one of my most favorite movies and the most influential movies of my person style (ok let me just say it started my obsession with clothes and Polaroid cameras!) I have talked to a number of people recently who have no idea what this movie is... how can this be? These people are the kind that follow fads saying "oh I'm going for the 80's look right now" because they are wearing a boyfriend blazer with loads of accessories, yet they have no idea where the look originated. When I see them and say "Oh you're having a Desperately Seeking Susan moment... I love it!!" I'm met with blank stares... this pains me... thus the post.

The plot is quite complex, basically it's a movie about mistaken identity, love and adventure. My verdict? you have to see this movie! The soundtrack is great and really adds to the theme of the movie and will forever be playing in your mind. The fashion is to die for, this honestly started my interest in fashion (5 yrs old) and an ongoing obsession for these amazing boots featured in the movie. The boots, an ankle boot encrusted with shiny crystals which in the movie have been styled with the side zips open and folded over (kinda cool street wear look) But most importantly the jacket central to the movies story line, what an amazing statement piece. A black/metallic blazer-esk jacket with gold patterned lapels and an amazing visual on the back of a golden pyramid with an all seeing eye above it... ooh so amazing! So check out the movie and see how your style has been influenced by this iconic movie. I know that it leaves me Desperately Seeking 1985!!

Madonna "Susan" rocking the jacket from the front

From behind on the street
and finally the close up!
Mitch. S xx
copyright © Mitchell Steed 2009

6 comments:

  1. The boots! The Jacket! The hair! A movie in which Madonna could actually act! Oh! How I adore this flick, Mitchell. I've seen it so many times. A classic. You have WONDERFUL taste.

    p.s well done on the blog - it looks great! x

    Elsie


    'Diary of A Fashion Muse'
    www.afashionmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thank you so much. I'm glad I'm not the only person who appreciates this movie and loves the fashion :-)
    oh and thankyou for you kind words aout my blog, coming from you that is a really big compliment for me! I love your blog!!

    Take care and I hope you enjoy all my future posts

    Mitch. S xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy!

    Loved your post! I,too, enjoyed Desperately Seeking Susan and consider t a little gem. I found your blog, while browsing for a bolero jacket pattern that could do for a replica of the jacket Madonna wore in the film.

    Anyway, great taste you have.

    hugzz

    vasco

    ReplyDelete
  4. She sold out to the Illuminati that runs Hollywood and the music industry....and the media....and your govt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow pretty random Vasco, but I'm glad you found my blog and enjoyed. I swear I need that jacket!
    Mitch. S xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the film its wonderful! One of my favorit film.. And I love the clodes.
    And Madonna have relly,RELLY nice shoes. I love them to! And i love your taste....<3

    ReplyDelete