Sunday, October 25, 2009

I'll have a Latte, and make it a large one

I've been wanting to interview some special friends of mine who are not only creative but inspiring. I've decided to make it a regular thing to not only inspire others but to also share some amazing people with you. So with that being said it brings us to my first victim, Gaia. I met Gaia a little while ago on my first paid styling job, at first I thought she was shy but now we both know each other I've noticed she's larger than life.

For the interview we met up in Sydney's CBD for a shopping day and most importantly for coffee. Jets was the nearest cafe to our window shopping destination and proved to be a winner, I went for a regular Latte whereas Gaia opted for the Large. When the waitress returned I had coffee envy, imagine standing a thimble next to an egg cup... that's how different our coffee's were (I still wish I got the large haha). We discussed fashion and life in general (boys, work, Backstage passes to Block Party and our obsession with Marc Jacobs) which then lead us to the following interview:




M: When did you first realise you wanted to be in the fashion industry?


G: It was actually never always a thought for me, working in the fashion industry. Finishing school I always expected I would do something relating to nutrition or food science, but when it came down to actually breaking free from school and thinking about my career I wanted something enjoyable and second nature to me. I couldn't imagine myself in an essentially 9-5 job which would offer very little in the way of challenges! I realised I actually could co-ordinate an outfit and had creative vision, and I started to work for nothing for designers and earnt money through hospitality jobs in my gap year to study at FBI. I’m glad I didn’t just rush into the wrong industry – it’s the best thing I ever could have done for myself.

M: What was the first magazine you purchased and what made you do it?

G: I honestly cannot recall that little detail, I know I really should. I was always given Vogue by my friends, but I think it was something really mediocre like In Style or Shop Til You Drop. Love them, but Russh is better….you can quote me on that! First time I bought Russh was like my first real magazine experience, I just clicked with its message.

M: How did you go about acquiring such gorgeous images for your blog?

G:There is no agenda when I’m looking for my pictures. Although I tend to go through them quickly, and this is reflected in the way I’m inspired by beauty and things a little left of centre. Unique design and originality - I can’t get enough of it. I also like discarding photos once I’ve used them, and constantly renewing my inspiration so I can really discover more. It’s funny, when I started my blog I didn’t really think about writing on it too much, it was about sharing the inspiration in my images, but accidentally I’ve reignited my passion for writing I had in high school…writing to me is something else.

M: What are some realisations you've had that have shown you what the industry is really like?

G: Working for free comes with the industry. Don’t expect too much, especially of the wrong thing – like glamorous parties and celebrities. If you have a dream within the industry, follow it because you’ve got to be completely self-sufficient, I’ve very much learnt the skills of self-starting. Going up to people and introducing yourself helps you grow, so just do it. No doubts.
I’ve also realised it’s very void of most things intellectual. Not to play it down, but you do involved with these incredible creative types and that is inspiration enough, but personally I find I need a balance of left and right brain!

M: Your blog Youth & Ardency has been getting a lot of attention lately. What was it like when not only did Swatch approach you but when a magazine requested to use your post in their upcoming issue?

G: I know, I received an email one day from Swatch in New York! I was so amazed when they asked to advertise on my blog but landing the spot with Spook Magazine was something I really wanted – I’d sent an article on male models to my friend who was the Fashion Editor, I’d also been working with her previously as an assistant to her styling work, and she said the guys at the magazine loved it. It was pretty humbling to know that something you created was so greatly respected, and by people who had the power to make something of it. It was pretty great timing also as I was at the point where I was asking myself, what do I want? Styling or writing? I think I made the right decision.

M: Who are some great people you've met along your journey in fashion so far?

G: The amazing personalities at college, every one I’ve made friends with are the types of people who have in your life for a long time to come. Other people like stylists are inspirational in terms of what you can do in your career, but my friends are the ones I love to be with the most. We can relate in many ways.

M: Who inspires you?

G: My best friend Odette. She’s not a part of my fashion crowd, but she keeps me happiest out of everything that makes me happy. I’d be lost without my people.
Can I say Jeff Buckley also?

M: If you were to choose 5 fashion related items to describe who you are, what would they be?

G: You little bugger. Infinite possibilities. It’s very hard for me because daily I’m in love with something else. I think shoes will always make me squeal. Great shoes make you look like a Sex & The City character with minimal effort. Yes please. That’s not to say I dress like one. I’m really into jewellery of any sort right now – I’ve always loved anklets and rings. I think there’s something magically feminine about dresses. Not just any type of dress. I think white dresses (marriage on the mind?) that are particularly feminine and delicate are just so special. I also love flouncy tops and over sized shirts. They are comfortable and you have that ‘I’m wearing my boyfriend’s clothes’ about yourself. A great bag is a must too. It’s got to be big and handsome…for all those water bottles! Mitch and I have this eco-friendly/stylish/insane obsession with those 1 litre glass bottles you find at IKEA, you know the ones they use at restaurants? Is that five? Haha

M: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

G: Whatever I’m doing I don’t want it to be boring! I’ll probably be hunched over a laptop writing 15 articles a day for a highly successful magazine, in an incredible apartment with Carrie’s wardrobe and the income to afford it. A place to call home for the best people out, my friends. Naturally.xx

Confident, Stylish and Creative, this girl is going places and I'm glad I got the opportunity to share a piece of her with you (before she's famous)

Mitch. S xx

Copyright © Mitchell Steed 2009

1 comment:

  1. love.
    stay stylish...i know you will regardless of anyone or anything. xx

    ReplyDelete