Friday, November 27, 2009

Out of the mouths of babes

It seems to me that simply growing up as a kid just wont do, I've noticed a trend of children being fashion guru's or simply children planning so far in the future that it scares me.


Gone are the days of mud pies and hungry hungry hippos, kids are now playing with sewing machines making complete outfits, they are blogging on their Mac Book Air's, they are emailing on their Blackberries and iPhones and giving style advice to men and women from the ages of 18 -60.

I think one of the most unnerving things about this trend is the fact that these kids are more articulate then 90% of the adults and industry experts I know. Since when do 9 yr olds say things like "I love the contrast of colours..." "this range inspired me and took me on a new journey..." and "I love the silhouettes used, he is such an artistic and influential designer" ... I'm sorry but when I was 9 it was all about 'Samurai Pizza Cats' and 'Xmen' no one ever spoke this way.. in fact the most sophisticated phrase used by us would be "I think we should ask permission to have a sleep over so we can watch videos all night". Either these kids have been trained very well by their parents, the media are altering and editing their work like crazy ... or kids really do hear from the womb and are learning to be stylish and articulate as a foetus.

Arlo Weiner fashions new style guru (he writes articles for GQ magazine...he's 9!!!what the?)and Son of Matthew Weiner creator of ultra stylish tv series 'Mad Men'




The Olsen twins were the first to tackle business at a young age creating a multi million $ Empire (dare I say Billion?)

Gwen Stefani's son looking uber cool and scarily like me... say 2 years ago (as in fashion not height and age!)

If this is not merely a fad us "oldies" need to get our acts together and read the dictionary, train up on fashion knowledge and beat these kids to all the good jobs before they leave us for dead!

Mitch. S xx

Copyright © Mitchell Steed 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment