Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Effortless Quirk

I simply love Roisin Murphy her music, her risk taking fashion and her personality and vibrancy. I think she first came onto my fashion radar in her Moloko days in "The Time is Now" film clip. She was wearing a purple off the shoulder dress that had a billowing sleeve, I just loved how the fabric flowed in slowmo (what doesn't look amazing in slowmo?). These days we see her sporting edgy fashion with a quirk from, patent silver ankle boots teamed with shower curtain plastic trenches and hot pink elbow length gloves (fingerless), quilted black and silver checked puffer jacket with matching dress, red hair, blond hair, straight hair, curly hair, she can wear it all with such ease.

Recently I discovered (on Youtube) people debating who's better, Gaga or Roisin.... if you are plagued with this question then you obviously have issues. There's no doubt both push boundaries with their outfits but there is an obvious difference... Roisin is effortless and timeless, Gaga is contrived and dated (sorry it's just a fact). I'm not a Gaga hater but after styling 2 shows and 2 photo shoots for mimicking her style (and all the research involved) I discovered she tries so hard to be noticed and to be seen as weird and sadly has the stigma of "flavour of the month" due to being a sell out, where as my lovely Roisin has always been strange and doesn't have to try to stand out and has unique music. Just look at Gaga's film clip "Papparazzi" and Roisin Murphy's "Overpowered" and you'll see what I mean, Roisin is fluid and effortless Gaga is stiff and try hard.

Rocking a Chanel inspired look, hitting it back with a classic and edgy hair do


Amazing digital printed fabric, part of one of her many (and very interesting) looks for her "Overpowered" album artwork


80's sports Luxe at it's best, she's making me want to break out some leg warmers and matching sweat bands


Showing us that Tulle isn't only cool as a skirt or wedding dress but as an amazingly arty jacket! (love the mesh heels!!!)


Patent leather arm length gloves and hand knitted outfit, very 'Romance Was Born' and just overall amazing. I think I need a new cafe outfit so I can shake things up life Roisin


Public transport has never looked so stylish, rocking her textured checked cowl neck dress (minus the Puffer quilted jacket that goes with this. Check out the 'Overpowered' film clip to see it all)



Showing off the edgy blazer shoulders BEFORE Balmain made everyone mainstream the look. Very cool headpiece too, I was so excited when she came on stage wearing this outfit (has a lovely thin white cotton tee underneath tucked into her slim line high waisted pants)


Looking classic in this micky mouse ear shoulder dress



Snapshot for this fun and energetic film clip "let me know". Check it out to see the awesome shower curtain trench


Showing how wearable Gareth Pugh's work can be. I think this is just bloody brilliant and she pulls it off so well!!


I can't wait for her new album to come out and to see what wonderful fashion she'll be wearing now that she is a new mum (and I can't wait to see what creative outfits her child will be wearing, let's hope they follow in mummy's foot steps!)


Mitch. S xx


Copyright © Mitchell Steed 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment